PARKING PERMIT POLICIES
1. Apply permit to lower left corner of front windshield, driver side.
2. Permit must be visible from outside of vehicle.
3. Permit must be displayed to be valid.
4. Failure to properly display this permit in plain sight may cause
issuance of a parking citation.
5. Permit may be easily moved by lifting any corner and gently
pulling away from windshield.
6. Permit valid with all vehicles registered through
Transportation & Parking Services.
7. This permit remains the property of UMD. Resale, unauthorized purchase,
duplication or alteration of this permit is strictly prohibited and
subject to a $100 fine.
8. The permit is non-transferrable and may not be given or sold
to another individual.
9. If you wish to cancel your permit, it must be returned to the TPS office
for a prorated refund. A $30 service fee will be charged for permit
refunds and returns.
10. Cancellation of a housing contract automatically invalidates the
green resident permit. The permit must be returned with room keys.
A prorated refund will be credited to the student account. Permits
used after cancellation date will be ticketed $100 for unauthorized
use of a UMD permit.
11. Report theft or loss immediately by calling TPS at 218-726-7433.
12. If you have a problem finding a parking space after business hours,
please contact UMD Police Dept. by calling 9-1-1.
EMERITUS PARKING PERMITS
Transportation & Parking Services offers free parking to Fully Retired Tenured Faculty. Please give us a call or stop by to inquire. We will be more than happy to assist.
Parking on the UMD campus is regulated by Board of Regents Policy and UMD Transportation & Parking Services policies and procedures.
Parking enforcement personnel have the authority to issue traffic tags for parking meter and other non-moving violations under the code and the state traffic laws, on property owned, leased or occupied by the University of Minnesota. Such tags have the same force and effect as though issued by a duly appointed qualified and acting peace officer.
Learn more on how to pay your parking ticket.
Distinguishing a Ticket
Tickets issued by UMD Transportation & Parking or UMD Police come in an orange envelope. UMD Transportation & Parking only issues tickets for parking violations on campus, but UMD Police may issue tickets for both on and off campus violations. The City of Duluth tickets come in lime green envelopes and are only given for off-campus parking violations.
- Full payment or written appeal is due within ten (10) calendar days
of ticket issuance
- Failure to respond within ten (10) calendar days of ticket issuance
will result in a $5 late fee
- Failure to respond within twenty (20) calendar days of the first late notice mailing date will result in an additional $40 late fee and enforcement action including: Placement of a hold on the academic record
- Failure to respond within twenty (20) calendar days after the date the $40 fee was added may result in enforcement action including: Referral to the Minnesota Department of Revenue for Revenue Recapture as authorized by the Revenue Recapture Act of 1980 Referral to a third-party collection agency
- Partial or non-payment of violation(s) and/or any applicable late fees will result in continued employment of all enforcement methods
Don't Get Barnacled
Violators who have accumulated five (5) parking violations OR $200 in outstanding fines and fees are subject to additional enforcement. Outstanding balances on multiple vehicles registered to the same owner will be combined. Enforcement will include:
- The vehicle in violation will be Barnacled. A $50 service fee will be applied. Removal of the Barnacle will only be authorized upon payment in full of all fines and fees or upon a satisfactory payment plan by employee payroll deduction.
- Denial of all UMD campus parking privileges including the revocation of current parking permit and the denial to purchase any future permits. Reinstatement of campus parking privileges will be granted upon full payment of all fines and fees or upon a satisfactory payment schedule by employee payroll deduction.
- UMD employees who cancel their payroll deduction before full payment is made remain responsible for full payment of all fines and fees. Failure to provide full payment will result in additional enforcement action.
Service Vehicle Policy
- Contractor shall provide transportation to campus and must comply with all posted regulations, signs and directions regarding traffic, parking, and loading/unloading, which includes purchasing service vehicle permits from Transportation & Parking Services. Service vehicle parking shall be in compliance with the policies and procedures of UMD Transportation & Parking Services.
- The Contractor shall arrange for loading/unloading operations in off street areas or in alleys, driveways, side streets or designated "Loading Zone”. If no other alternative is available, vehicles may temporarily park short-term on UMD roads provided that the name of the Contractor, Subcontractor, or Supplier name is displayed on the vehicle.
- Warning signs and barricades in accordance with the Minnesota Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices are required when stopped or working on University roads. Parking regulations will be strictly enforced.
- Parking for personal vehicles of construction personnel is not allowed on construction sites. Parking is available in University parking lots in accordance with posted regulations and fees. Parking is often allowed free of charge in maroon & white lots when school is not in session, refer to posted regulations for timing.
- Company vehicles necessary to the completion of the work may be parked on site at the discretion of the Project Manager. Parking shall be restricted to impervious surfaces if at all possible. Company vehicles parked on site shall have the name of the company displayed on the side of the vehicle and a valid service vehicle permit visibly displayed.
- University contractors are eligible to purchase a service vehicle permit available from UMD Transportation & Parking Services. Service vehicle permits are valid for one (1) month, six (6) months or twelve (12) months from the date of purchase. Service vehicle permits are not valid for personal vehicles. All vehicles must be identified with the company name clearly displayed on the outside of the vehicle, or on a company printed paper clearly displayed on the dash. Hand written notes are not acceptable.
- Service Vehicle permits are valid in service vehicle spaces. * If a service vehicle space is not readily available, the vehicle may be parked in the nearest permit lot (Maroon, Gold, White or Green) providing both the permit is visibly displayed and the vehicle is clearly identified with the company name. In unique situations, and with notification to the Transportation & Parking Services Office, the vehicle may be parked in any legal parking space (including metered spaces and Pay Lot G). Parking is never allowed in No Parking zones including fire lanes, driving lanes, bus stops, handicapped spaces, or Designated Reserve Permit spaces.
- Service vehicle permits are transferable between vehicles providing all vehicles are identified with the company name clearly displayed. Service vehicle permit spaces are strictly enforced year round, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Vehicles not displaying the proper permit or not clearly identifiable as company vehicles will be ticketed. Lost or stolen permits will be issued a replacement for a duplication fee. A police report is requested for all stolen permits.
* Please notice this policy has changed as of June 2019.